Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

... and oh so true

Thursday, January 19, 2006

This has been my bedtime reading since December. It's taking me a while to get through because -as a student researcher- entire days are spent reading and I'm often burnt out by the time dusk rolls along.

For better or worse, the book itself is emotionally exacting as we follow Dallaire on his tour of duty in Rwanda, in the build-up to and period of the 1994 genocide (I'm only midway through the book). My first attempts to understand -though can anyone really- what happened were through the films 'Sometimes in April' and 'Hotel Rwanda' and from following the coverage on the 10th anniversary observance campaigns in 2004.

Not having visited the country, most of what I think/feel about it has been inspired by Rwandan friends Liliane and Epiphanie, who have bravely chosen to invest themselves in the country's reconstruction and the community's recovery.

7 comments:

Karen M said...

Man, you read some cheem stuff...the last book I read was like "The Devil Wears Prada" =)

Karen M said...

BTW, thanks so much for the b-day card. Really appreciate the thought.

Alicia said...

You're most welcome - we first quarter babies need to show some solidarity mah!

BTW I'm also on the lookout for something lighter to read after I finish this book ... which should be in the next 2 nights or so (recreational reading is confined to the 20 mins prior to sleep, very slow progress). Got anything to recommend or not?

Karen M said...

Unfortunately, I'm currently reading stuff like "How to raise a happy, unspoiled child" So I can't help right now....=)

Alicia said...

Hmm. Since we're on THAT note then - is there anything you'd suggest on nutrition for those-planning-to-be-moms-in-the-next-couple-of-years?

Karen M said...

Start taking pre-natal vitamins. You can get them from your OBGYN.

Alicia said...

Ah yes ... something else to pen into the schedule :) Thanks for that! And is there anything I do in the way of stretch mark prevention?