Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

... and oh so true

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Coming to terms at the start of term

German class started on Monday. It runs daily from 9.00am-12.50pm till end-August. And yes, that's the sound of my brain frying in the background. Ooh the heartwarming sizzle of gray matter. Leave off the salt, please.

My main motives for learning Deutsch (a.k.a why I show up every morning with homework done) are:

(i) to have a proper, un-aided conversation with Ste's Uncle Hansueli this Christmas. I think he's rather sick of hearing my jokes via proxy (or rather, Ste is sick of being the proxy) and I'm even putting some advance prep into it so none of the brilliant nuances get mired in translation.

(ii) to pressure Ste into bringing me for a karaoke session in Zuerich (my favourite hits at the moment are Herbert Groenemeyer's Ein Stueck vom Himmel and Du bist Die, plus Silbermond's Das Beste, all of which I've been struggling to croon to on YouTube (with lyrics palmed off the Net of course).

And now that we're at the end of the first week of Deutschkurs, I can add a third:

(iii) to figure out how it's statistically possible that nearly half the class is so unbelievably and embarrassingly good-looking (and I mean Calvin Klein photo ad model quality) while the rest of us mooch about like faceless extras on the set. As I look across the classroom at the beautiful and ebullient young 'uns, I'm floored by how much older I am ... than I actually feel.

5 comments:

Shirin M Tejani said...

Yeah, I'd like to confirm if what you're saying is true... that half your class really is calvin klein-good looking... You have to put up photos.

Alicia said...

Yup, I'll definitely be doing that, but probably closer to the end of the course, when our class is more relaxed. It'll also be less embarrassing if I'm no longer drooling at these 21 year olds by then.

Incidentally - I was told this morning that the secret to a perfect nose is ... a good plastic surgeon. Same goes for firm pectorals, a chiseled chin, etc. My Venezuelan classmate is an authority on that.

The fringe benefits from attending Deutschkurs, loads of useful information on aesthetics!

Unknown said...

hahahaha, CK good looking, huh? Keep one of them for me.... :-) I mean, slightly older than 21 though..

Seriously. (hahaha)

Will email you this weekend about details!

Anonymous said...

coincidentally, a colleague commented to me the other day that the German are supposed to be the "perfect" race - ie - most germans are fab looking. Keep a tally :P

Alicia said...

Hmm. I think I'd rather not get into this whole 'perfect race' business. Better to just reap the gains from Vergangenheitsbewältigung (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vergangenheitsbew%C3%A4ltigung)

There are indeed many Germans here in Zurich, but I probably won't meet very many in my German language course ;)