Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

... and oh so true

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Burger that, Burgher!

I say I'm vegetarian because I think it just simplifies things. What I really am though is pescatarian, though I've learned the hard way that what people tend to hear (right after they give me the evil eye for springing an unnecessarily foreign-sounding -and possibly new agey- word into my dietary preference) is episcopalian. Which, as everyone knows, is an entirely different basket of fish and loaves altogether. Go figure.

Being pescatarian implies that I don't get a lot of all-beef-patty -with or without the special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on the sesame seed bun- kind of action. Which is why the last fortnight has been somewhat unusual, for its recurring burger imagery.

i. Filet-o-Fish BURGER in Basel on a Friday night with newfound friends Danielle, Julie, Barbara and Nthatisi, the mellow conference crowd. I would not otherwise have entered the Golden Arches.

ii. Sprungli's LuxemBURGERli in Zurich with Janelle and Derek, who were visiting from Los Angeles. I believe they gave the exquisite melt-in-your-mouth macaroons four thumbs up (in all).

And finally, to no less acclaim, Stefan Altorfer-Ong in full graduation regalia, as if he'd just walked off the set of Auguste Rodin's real-life mock-up for ...

iii. the BURGHERS of Calais live -one night only, sold out!- performance in the Peacock Theater. He even got a standing ovation from his long-suffering, draft-editing, fellow student spouse.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ste looks wicked smart. And pretty hot in that puffy hat! Docto-licious!

ok - I needed luck this morning cuz my interview got moved - it was today....

still nothing settled - won't be for another 3-4 weeks.

But...it sounds positive.

Lets see - I'm going to put in applications for other places soon too...just in case...

xx
Tania

Alicia said...

Heh heh, you're so kind! It's quite scandalous really - that entire get-up costs just under GBP700!!! Of course we opted to rent rather than purchase ... lord knows when Ste would ever need something like that ... except at the upcoming Harry Potter movie, p'haps.

Great news about the interview, keeping fingers crossed! Loads of good wishes coming from Zurich to Clapham!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the graduation!

Thats a slick looking getup he has. Nice pic, very acadamic looking. In front of the library no less.

I expect to see that photo on the dust jacket of his first book.

Also, I was telling mum you look very visionary with your arm outstretched like that, "your friends in awe as you point to the future"... inspiring stuff, really :)

Alicia said...

Hey bro, nice of you to check in ... FINALLY! I'll pass on your kindly comments to Ste ... unfortunately the next book he publishes is likely to be a children's book (about penguins and fish fingers, I kid you not) ... so that photo might be a little off key (it might scream of homework and exams to kids who're just learning to read).

And as for my outstretched arms, I was actually practicing spell-casting so I can start busking for loose change when Potter-mania hits town.

Anonymous said...

oh yea, and it only took me about a year and a half to think of a decent comment :)

Penguins and fish fingers? Well, anything with penguins in it is a sure thing. Whats not to like? I'll buy a copy.

If you want I could photoshop some lightning or fairy dust into your pic :)

Alicia said...

Cool beans! D'ya think you could insert a blue cloud with specks of pink?