Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

... and oh so true

Sunday, May 06, 2007

I went to learn

I'm back from Tanzania. It wasn't a long trip -all of 7 weeks- but plenty happened in that time. The 10 days preceding my safari home were a dream, jampacked with the most incredible interviews and encounters.

There were too many lessons, there is far too much to write: relevant information, conflicting emotions, vivid poetry, contemporary analysis, lurid imagery, oral history, jubilant ululation ... and all that tongue-basting ugali ...

I am humbled by how little I will ever know about the questions I am purportedly interested in. In the words of a special Mzee, "There are certainly some benefits to having been born earlier." And I missed that boat, The Glory Days, by a clean decade.

So here is my Pesambili's worth for now ... an intimate primate moment en route to Ngorongoro Crater -

"This sure beats navel-gazing ..."

4 comments:

Pink said...

ha.

glad you had an amazing run of interviews!!

xx
pinks

Pink said...

and KARIBU SANA in Switzerland again!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Alicia! I look forward to your stories from Tanzania! When are you coming to UK?
Hey, I hope you don't mind me inlcuding a link to your blog on...Ariadne's blog (ariadneinoxford.blogspot.com)?!

Alicia said...

Habari gani, Pink? Asante for the kind wishes, I'm still working through the transciption (very slow process) ... but it's all good!

Hi Marianna, I hope you don't mind that I've linked to Ariadne's blog! :) Now if only I could read Greek/German ... your little girl's going to be an incredible polyglot, not like dear rickety, monolingual Aunty Alicia ...