Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

... and oh so true

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Yes, I'm procrastinating

As I see it, the main trouble with doing research -apart from having to think- is the isolation. I work from home (in the study, which is all of 2 paces from the bedroom) and can get through pretty much the entire day not having uttered a word ... save for a cuss under the breath when I've stubbed my little toe. Even that exclaimation is economised, barely escaping my cracked lips as a "FFFffff ..."

This solitude runs plainly against the grain of my personality. I'm certain I've complained about this before but -heck- just for the record, I'm gonna play it again, Sam.

As you well know, I have an exceedingly high dependence on human interaction. And I don't mean the five-sen, ten-sen occasional small talk with random neighbour in the cellar (where the washing machines are chained) or Coop cashier, well meaning though they may be.

But rather a rich and succulent rump of high quality, unadulterated free-ranging conversation which means something. With people who mean a lot.

So thank heavens for instant messaging. And for all the people on it who help sustain me through the days of silence!

6 comments:

Pink said...

Instant messenger? how come I don't have your address. I love instant messenger.

Alicia said...

Cool beans - I've added you as my contact on both MSN and Yahoo! In case it doesn't show up, mine's aliciaongny@hotmail.com (or aeony).

See ya online!

Dreaming giraffes,
A

Anonymous said...

hihi! your academic profile page has your nice picture covering the titles :) may want to shift....

Pink said...

get to work.

this is a public service announcement.

those academics not working may be subject to long bouts of guilt.

if this were a real procrastination emergency you would already be asleep.

please return to your regular internet browsing.
xx
pinks

blinkingredlight said...

AUNTY! happy birthday!!!! :)

Carla said...

Beautiful blog you have here. I hear you about working from home. I did that for quite awhile and there are days... Good luck.