Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

... and oh so true

Monday, May 07, 2007

Chapter 1: Amortising a debt of kindness

Ali insisted on walking me to Posta, the central daladala stop. It wasn't far from his flat, just 15 minutes at an easy trot, but I felt bad because he had already extended me a great courtesy.

I had rung him on his mobile the day before, completely out of the blue, brandishing all the shiny telemarketing hooks (1. Researcher from the LSE; 2. Singaporean living in Switzerland; 3. Articulate yet harmless female with well-meaning questions and no previous record of badgering her subjects) to win myself a piece of his time.

It was a case that I had pleaded with other interviewees before, an argument which doesn't get any easier with practice - "Please meet me for a chat ... it will be of no discernible benefit to you but might potentially revolutionise my doctoral research and save my sorry little behind ..."

There was a long pause (1001 ... 1002 ... 1003 ... 1004 ...) and then a meandering umm. At that point, I cast away any remaining scruples and foisted myself shamelessly on the poor soul, offering to postpone my impending departure date if he would see me. He quaked ... and I heaved a sigh of relief. Then I promptly did what I always do before an important meeting - gnaw away anxiously at my right thumb. For luck.

Ali appeared where he said he would, when he said he would, and suggested that we talk in his family home. It was a modest and tidy third-floor flat and he passed someone some Shillings to get me a Coke. We sat in the armchairs by the window. Two young children climbed onto his lap, arching their backs ever so often to keep the visitor in sight. He cleared his throat and began,

"你如果要研究 中国和坦赞尼亚的外交, 那你应该先研究中国的历史, 而你必须了解那个社会里的矛盾 ..." (something to that effect anyway, but with better grammar and more flourish)

Ali grew up in China - he had attended a local school and graduated with two degrees from Chinese colleges. And so the conversation flowed: halting questions in English (yours truly) and expansive replies in fluent Mandarin (from him). Whatever the case, we had created a two-way street.

When the time came for me to leave, he offered to send me off. I thanked him profusely, for his time, his family's time and ... well, for having agreed to see me in the first place. Ali smiled good-naturedly and brushed my embarrassment aside, "I have often been the recipient of much kindness from strangers ... so don't thank me. This is something small I can give back."

6 comments:

Esther said...

Ohmigosh! You can type in Chinese?!? I have to say though, I was quite pleased with myself for being able to read the whole sentence - but then, it was in your words and our level of Chinese is pretty similar :)

Glad to hear you are home and safe!

Alicia said...

Ha ha, yeah - I think I'm still at the writing/speaking standard of a 5 year old ... that's what one gets after all these years of RESISTING a language, I guess. I'll have to face the music at the end of the year ... it will be ... character-building :)

Unknown said...

hey welcome back - have missed the posts!

Pink said...

Wow. What he had to say was amazing!

err (?)

Its great that he helped you. Your thumb chewing worked!
xx
pinks

Pink said...

PS - congratulations on correct usage of amortisation tables ;)

Alicia said...

Thanks, Pink! It's been a longstanding childhood dream of mine to use that word (amortise) in its present continuous form as a blog post title :)