Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

... and oh so true

Thursday, March 01, 2007

"... I would hate to come after that"

Wow. Those Oscars are really something. Quite an event, especially for an unplugged, non-film buff, non-telly owning bore (boor?) like meself. Managed to watch it all the way through in my parents' living room though ... because, heck, they are actually 'with' the times and have a telly.

I was surprised. In spite of having zero moolah riding on the results (was dead broke after handing out all those New Year hongbaos, lost the remaining pennies to ruthless cousins over Black Jack), the spirit was still rather infectious.

My personal highlights were (1) the choir which clicked, whooshed and hummed the Soundtrack of Daily Life most magnificently; (2) the acrobatic troupe and their enigmatic shadow-posing which moved even the most avant garde wayang kulit maestro; (3) Nicole Kidman's lipstick red gown ... and her well-matched statuesque frame; (4) that Scottish guy who played the doctor in The Last King of Scotland (hurrah, one movie that I DID watch!).

Apart from the annoying woman who kept gushing over Martin Scorsese (I suppose she's someone rather famous to be seated next to him ... wife? Rabid and uncontrollable fan?), the flubbing announcement which claimed Infernal Affairs for Japan instead of Hong Kong, and George Clooney (smoldering or not, his self-assured grin irritates the hell outta me), it was a decent way to spend my last morning in Singapore. 9.30am till 1pm.

I texted Michelle to see if she was tuned in. Ste and I were at her London flat at the same time last year, glamourously decked out in our pyjamas -Nic's stylist wasn't available, you understand- and sprawled ON the carpet. This year, Michelle was in Sydney for work, possibly clinching some multi-billion dollar deal for that company with the bull mascot.

But film is never far from her heart.

So I would like to take this opportunity to rouse the loyalist cause amongst those of us who know her, to set things in motion.

It’s all there - action, intrigue and corporate perversity. Singapore-born director Michelle Teo Su Ying brings together a stellar cast led by London-based heart-throb Shri Jayakumar in this original screenplay, The Interview.

Login and vote, every star counts!

8 comments:

Pink said...

Ok I logged in, but it wouldn't let me review. will keep trying.

and yes, bc girls rock. not sure what bc you mean, but since I'm a girl from British Columbia (BC) I will concur!!

xx

Pink said...

ps. i think i would also qualify as Bloody Childish too ;)

Alicia said...

Heh heh, that's right, let's spread the love! :) BC = British Columbia = also Boston College ... they all kick major ass, since the epoch Before Christ!

Ok, I think The Lot requires a review in order to vote. Something pithy would suffice, I think my comment was 'Enjoyed it'

Thanks for the support :)

Shirin M Tejani said...

Just one question: How did the name "So Aunty" come about?

Alicia said...

Hi Shirin,

The blog is "So Aunty" because that's a comment I get ever so often ... that I am so-like-an-aunty.

Aunty = middle-aged, indiosyncratic fuddy duddy

Sigh.

Shirin M Tejani said...

Idiosyncratic... i guess... :)
fuddy duddy... hmmm...
certainly not "middle-aged"!! You're young & hip... you travel the world, have fun...

Pink said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pink said...

wait -
auntie = middle aged fuddy duddy?

??????????????????????????????????

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm an aunty!

I'm arguably middle aged!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah poop. I'm also a fuddy duddy.

Guess the theory DOES hold water :(