Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

... and oh so true

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

You remind me of a babe - What babe? - The babe with the power - What power?

To inject some levity to my overt listlessness, Ahmed, house manager of the flat I'm staying in, gave me a little -too much, I'd say- background on 'magic' as it's practiced on the Islands.

Voodoo isn't a word that's used here, but in any case, there is apparently a closed circle of witch doctors who offer a menu of imaginative spells to suit clients' demands. "Mostly for good," he added ... in an attempt to appear less creepy, "... for example if you want to communicate with the dead." After which he promptly elaborated on a disturbing 'disappearance' (read: kidnapping) ritual that didn't sound goodly at all. Then there were the shark attacks at Coco Beach (in Dar) - apparently completely attributable to a group of vengeful fisherman who had summoned up Jaws-like attacks against those who were pilfering their catch.

I didn't want to get into that discussion. And I didn't quite appreciate the fact that it was an obviously BAD CHOICE of evening conversation material. Clearly I've hammed up my chicken licken bravado just a tad too much.

5 comments:

Pink said...

Creepy. You know - the day you posted this I was in a cab going to my chiropractor. The driver was from Sierra Leone and he was adamant that the problems in Africa are because of 'my people' (whites) coming there with their multinationals to take the resources for profit. He's got a point.

It was then that he joined the spooky parade and told me that they will not succeed - they go there to make money and get killed - because of Voodoo.

fascinating beliefs.

Pink said...

more...I'm posting something to my blog and I am hoping you will buy in there in Zanzibar...find Freddie.

Alicia said...

Gag ... I guess that was a scantily veiled threat that you and 'your people' (!) might want to make better FDI decisions?!!

Anonymous said...

funny that you selected this title for this blog entry. i was just thinking about getting the labyrinth DVD to watch again. :-)brings back some memories. hope all is well!

Bluesoul said...

I hear ya on on the "Pining rather pitiably for her partner". Been there. Be safe and have fun whenever you can.