Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

... and oh so true

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Oh I get it now!

It used to bother me when I was younger, that I couldn't get out of her shadow. Though I never saw that much of a resemblance, people would always comment on how much I looked like my Mom when she was young. Well, I've finally come around. It was a slightly unnerving revelation not so long ago, which I've since accepted as The Way Things Are - that inextricable blend of nature and nurture.

When Mom is stressed or anxious about something, she can't sleep. Ditto for me. Mom sings in the bath and will 'la la la' the lyrics she can't remember. Ste puts up with similarly sketchy shower repertoires from yours truly (this morning's included 'You're History' by Shakespeare's Sister ... I can only imagine what was going through his head, "Hoppla, I married a banshee!"). Mom and I are loud, lively and enjoy poking fun at people. We relish noise, dancing, open houses and pot lucks.

After Ste's best man Roman met my parents for the first time, he apparently commented, "Ah, now I know why Alicia is like that!" This struck me too when my folks were in Bern for our wedding. We were having a home-cooked lunch at Roman's flat, preparing Teochew Mueh ... or at least half of us were. Mom and I were having a boisterous go at each other while trimming and curling ribbons on the church programmes, while Dad and Ste were in the kitchen, diligently, good-naturedly and peacefully making meatballs and porridge. They looked at each other, chuckled and shook their heads.

Now that I've got my head screwed on a little tighter, I am both proud and happy that Mom and I are so alike. Without intending to be, without forcing it, it's just happened. We have always shared and fostered big and bubbly dreams for me - as professional belly dancer, ballerina, lawyer, traveller, writer, academic.

Perhaps the one thing that still gets my goat is, "Oh you look like sisters!"

Nice try, but no banana!

3 comments:

happy shiny things said...

such a nice pix :) :)

Sher said...

i think it's great to be like your mom! i have always thought she was completely cool / sophisticated / never awkward. and its unusual that you acknowledge it because most people detest being told tt they are exactly like XX parent... i know i wld haha.

Alicia said...

As a teenager trying to strike out on my own, identity-wise, having such a cool mom was a challenge. Especially since she was both cool AND full of love.

Anyway, it's taken me long enough to grow out of my own insecurities - a whole decade, ha ha!