Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

... and oh so true

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

"I'll have whatever she ordered, please ..."

I alighted at South Kensington tube station on the Picadilly Line and mindlessly followed the shoal of drifting bodies up the stairs, towards the long escalator going up to street level. There was a pretty girl some steps in front of me. I noticed her because she was striking, glowing with a natural, un-airbrushed, un-photo shopped presence.

She turned back, fixed her gaze on something behind me, and smiled extravagantly. I looked where she looked. There was a busker on the platform, strumming wildly on his guitar. How funny that I barely even heard his gnashing chords when I strode past him. This time I listened hard ... not an earth-shaking tune, but endorsed by a Beautiful Being, so my mind was more open to it. More open to making excuses for it.

"Must be a new strain of rock that only trendy people are clued in to," I rationalised irrationally to myself.

At the top of the escalator, I craned my neck to see where she would go ... secretly wishing that she would whirl into a cafe, confirming its pedigree (I would then appear all-knowing when recommending it to friends as the 'in' place).

I'm totally unlike her, not blond, tall, nor a fan of chang-chang music. But celebrity endorsement sure as hell works and a stunning stranger has shown me what I didn't know I really wanted.

4 comments:

Bluesoul said...

Happy anniversary of your Singapore wedding reception! Thanks for inviting me. :-)

Alicia said...

Well hey, thanks so much for being a part of it and your kind wishes! I'm really glad we're still in touch after ... (let's not count the number out loud) years.

Blogs are a brill idea, I feel so much more informed and up-to-date with stuff that's going on now.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff. Thank you and please write more, but kartnok not enough!

Anonymous said...

Why do you hate democrats so much? Let's a find a balance first, and then start blaming each other. And don't say war is the answer.
Please allow me to be spontaneous and post random stuff and quotes. I mean no harm.
I just read another article about this topic, and yours seems to be a lot more to the point. However, their article appears on #1 spot, and your is on the bottom. Why?
I'm a little slow, please don't remove my comments or I will get upset.

Nothing is wrong with you that reincarnation can't cure.