Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

... and oh so true

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

What I'm reading now ... and will probably be for the next 6 months ...

I had originally purchased the hard copy of "Mao: The Unknown Story" for my Uncle Thiam Tong, an avid reader of political biographies, and queued to have it autographed by the authors at the launch.

After a couple of months, I thought I should have a go at it myself. It had the potential to be one of the few Thick Books that I have read cover to cover ... except that I've barely managed to pull through the first quarter of it since starting in February.

I haven't read Wild Swans and I do appreciate that 10 years of fieldwork and firsthand research went into this work ... but the authors dwell excessively on the personal depravity and abject evil of the man in question, that the whole working of the Chinese Communist machinery, as a system, goes unmentioned.

Or, perhaps, I should just be patient and persevere ... the crux might lie in the chapters beyond the photo inserts.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

didn't like wild swans that much; much preferred life & death in shanghai....

Alicia said...

Really? I haven't read either, just that Wild Swans is very highly acclaimed, if I'm not mistaken, the bestselling book on China to date.

I'll see if I survive this Mao book first. Sigh.